Friday, May 04, 2007

 

Mateel declares victory

I got a note from Mateel E.D. Taunya Stapp earlier today advising that a press release was coming re: the Planning Commission's actions last night. I don't know that I would describe what happened as a "victory" myself, since the commission lowered the attendance level, which will cost whoever gets to do the festival a lot of money, and they threatened to pull the permit entirely if legal issues remain undecided by July 16, but the Mateel is still in the game, which I suppose is worth something.
BTW, I was otherwise occupied and did not attend the hearing personally, nor did I tune it in on my TV (or even TiVo it) so I'm going on press reports by my esteemed colleagues,
James from the T-S and Wendy from the E-R, whose accounts you can read by clicking on their respective names.

On another note, I got a call from Boots Hughston of 2b1 this afternoon. I'd sent him an e-mail earlier asking if there was any truth in an anonymous rumor posted elsewhere saying he'd pulled out as producer of Reggae on the River. As I suspected, the rumor is baseless.

One more thing. An anonymous commenter complained in an unposted comment,

"
Your "Journal" stories are fun to read and all but your attitude regarding people commenting on "your" blog and your sending them over to Eric's to post stuff your going to read over there anyway leaves a pungent aroma in our quickly warming atmosphere."

Well, for starters, thanks for the compliment, glad you like my "Journal" stories and all. I'm curious as to why you put quotes around the word "your" as applied to this blog. I think I've made it clear in the past, I am responsible for what you read here in as much as I am the person who set the blog up, I'm the only one who posts here (although I mostly post official p.r.) and I'm the moderator.
As far as the comments in connection with the last post, I just don't want to hear
a bunch of personal attacks, much less provide a forum for that sort of thing. Forgive my language, but if there's a "pungent aroma" in your vicinity, perhaps it's because you're one of the anonymous trolls who's full of shit. I have a few more thoughts on the effect that anonymous bloggage has had on the "quickly warming atmosphere" down SoHum way, but I'll save them for another day. - Bob

and now for that press release:

REGGAE on the River Victory on Control of Festival Permit
REGGAE on the River moves forward to save event for local community

[Humboldt County, CA May 3, 2007]

The Humboldt Planning Commissioners held steady in their support for the community last evening by confirming through actions, that the Mateel Community Center is still the applicant and holder of the permit for this year’s festival. “We appreciate the planning commission taking the action necessary to maintain the integrity of the decision making process to help guide the community through this controversy.” said Boots Hughston of 2b1 Multimedia, the producer for Reggae on the River. This clears the way for the Mateel, owners of the festival-- for over twenty three years, and it’s production partner, 2b1 Multimedia to successfully confirm its right to produce the festival this year and beyond.

The festival is a crucial part of the social and economic goodwill for the local Southern Humboldt community, a community which has much pride in it’s support over the years for building and maintaining a healthy nonprofit sector in a rural area with limited governmental services. For over twenty-three years the Mateel Community Center has used its largest fundraiser to distribute the goodwill of the festival by developing diverse cultural arts, theater, and music programs for the surrounding communities. Programming includes items like the Mateel Meal for those without resources and acclaimed theatrical performances by local youth through Recycled Youth.

Taunya Stapp, Executive Director of the Mateel Community Center said, “We are grateful to the commission and acknowledge the difficulty of the job, the changes requested, and we are fully up to the task. We have taken their words to heart and we hope to have any remaining issues resolved prior to the deadline set with the Mateel and Reggae on the River prevailing.”

2b1 Multimedia has an excellent reputation and track record for safe large festival events. The Mateel is very appreciative of 2b1’s support and continued willingness to assist in this year’s production. The Mateel commends 2b1 Multimedia for stepping up to ensure this festival stays with its community and music roots.

Comments:
Bob, I was there at the meeting and in my wildest interpretations of the evening, I could NEVER say that the planning commision said one word that would indicate a leaning toward the MCC.
The outcome of the meeting is that the producer will have more fetters and they will cost big bucks.
I would say that the MCC is in big trouble.
And I want to go on record saying that Taunya Stapp is quite incorrect in her srtaement and is an out right misleading lie designed to be picked up on the web and repeated as fact.
This is not a good way to be an exectutive director.
The membership is not well served by this sort of crap.
If there was ever a reason to seek a resignation this is one!
Omar
 
There is a word in the subject line that says Victory. No one described it as a complete victory read the press release. The Mateel is talking about actions. The permit is still in their hands. Dimmick indicates in his letter they didn't get to ask them to take action on their behalf. The Mateel certainly did score a victory. If Dimmick had walked out of their with the permit they would have had a pathway to that festival now and for all the future and could pay almost nothing for it. That is a victory by any sense of the word.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?